3.6.07

Feeling for Bones by Bethany Pierce

When I began reading Feeling for Bones, I had no idea what to expect from the story. I certainly did not expect one of the most uplifting books I’ve ever read, but that’s what I discovered.

Feeling for Bones is one of the most beautifully written and powerful stories I have ever read. I would find myself reading sentences over and over again. Not for clarity, but to absorb the grace and power of the words written.

This is a story of Olivia, a young girl struggling with her body image and the mental bondage of anorexia, but it’s so much more than that. As I turned each page, I felt as though I was Olivia. When she rolled her eyes, I could feel my own want to follow. When she painted, I felt like I was holding a paintbrush. More importantly, I felt her insecurities and her emotional disconnect as if they were my own. I walked through Olivia’s amazing re-connect to God, herself, and truth. I was with Olivia when the door of her mental prison broke open and she walked free. Maybe I was Olivia for awhile………..maybe we all are Olivia in some way. We all have our own prisons, just different names for them.

Feeling for Bones is more than just a good book; it’s a spiritual experience not to be missed.

I seldom read a book twice, but this is one that I know I will read over and over for years to come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw this in my bookstore, but thought it might be a little on the heavy side. Thanks for the review, now I'll read it.

Rel said...

Great review Dawn - sounds like a worthwhile read.